Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

What does Izwe do?

Izwe is a registered finance company.

We mainly offer:

  • Secured personal loans.
  • Payroll loans for government employees
  • SME loans, through our iBiz offering, for entrepreneurs and growing businesses.
  • Fixed-term investments, savings, and transactional accounts for individuals and businesses.
Where does Izwe operate:

We operate in Ghana, Kenya, and Zambia.

Izwe is a subsidiary of the Izwe Africa Group, an international financial solutions group and private loan lender with its headquarters in Mauritius.

How long has Izwe been in existence?

Izwe was incorporated in October 2010. We started serving customers in July 2011 and have since helped over 100,000 people to get quick loans and achieve their financial goals.

Is Izwe Registered with any Regulatory Bodies?

Yes. We are registered with, and licensed by, the Bank of Ghana.

Our financial services are regulated by:

  • The Securities Exchange Commission (SEC),
  • The National Insurance Commission (NIC), and
  • The Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE).

Izwe is also proudly associated with the Ghana Deposit Protection Scheme.

Where can I find an Izwe branch?

We have branches in:

  • Accra
  • Cape Coast
  • Ho
  • Kasoa
  • Koforidua
  • Kumasi
  • Takoradi
  • Tamale
  • Sunyani
  • Tema

Click here to find a branch near you.

Who qualifies as a civil servant?

We make it easy for civil servants to get payroll loans.

That includes anyone permanently employed by:

  • The Government of Ghana
  • Ghana Police Services
  • Ghana Army
  • Ghana Revenue Authority
  • UDS
  • The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)
What do I need to apply for payroll loans?

To apply for a loan online, you’ll need:

  • Your employee number
  • Mandate number and PIN for government employees
  • A colour copy of a valid national identity document
  • CADG employees need to submit their mandate number
What forms of identification do you accept?

To get a payroll loan, you’ll need a colour copy of one of the following:

  • Voter’s ID
  • Biometrics ID card
  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
How do I apply for a loan?

Choose from 4 convenient options:

Apply for online loans:

  1. Directly at one of our branches
  2. Through our helpful call centre agents
  3. Through our vast sales agent network
  4. Call me back
Do I need to be permanently employed to get payroll loans?

Yes. Payroll loans are only available to permanently employed civil servants of GRA, KNUST and UDS.

What amounts and terms can I get?

Izwe offers payroll loans up to GHS100,000 with up to 72 months (6 years) to repay.

When will my payroll loans be paid out?

Once your application has been approved, your money will be paid out within 24 hours.

How will my loan be paid out?

Our mission is to make it easy to get a payroll loan when you need it.

That’s why we let you choose how you’d like your money to be paid out:

  • In cash
  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
  • Mobile Money

You can also choose a combination of the above.

How do I make repayments?

Repayments are automatically deducted from your salary.

Please make sure your instalments are paid in full and on time, since you are responsible for all arrears.

Can I roll over my payroll loans and get larger amounts?

Yes, you can.

We’ll issue you with the higher loan amount, but a portion will be used to settle your current loan. We’ll then pay you the balance.

Please note that certain Terms and Conditions apply which an Izwe representative can discuss with you.

Call us on 0302 208 222 or click here and we’ll call you back.

Is my loan insured?

All our payroll loans and iBiz business loans products include credit life insurance. This covers you in the event of death, disability, medical incapacitation, and retrenchment. Terms and conditions apply.

What is the interest rate?

Your interest rate depends on a number of factors, such as loan amount and term.

As per Bank of Ghana requirements, we’ll disclose your interest rate in your pre-agreement document.

You can also see the rates on our pre-printed payment schedule. Ask our call centre or your dedicated agent for help with this.

Can I settle my payroll loans early?

Yes, you can.

Please contact our call centre on 0302 208 222 for a settlement quote. The quote takes seven days to prepare and is valid for three days.

Is there a cooling-off period?

No, there is not. Please see the terms and conditions in your Secured Loan Agreement.

Can I pay money over and above my monthly deduction?

Yes, you can. Simply visit one of our branches to make a payment.

Please note, additional payments do not impact your monthly instalment amount.

Please see the terms and conditions in your Secured Loan Agreement.

How do I get my account statement?

Contact 0302 208 222 or visit one of our branches.

How do I apply for secured personal loans or iBiz business loans?

There are 3 ways you can easily apply for a loan against your assets:

  • Apply online
  • Visit one of our branches
  • Contact our call centre on 0302 208 222

Please have the following documents and information ready:

Landed property

Personal loans:

  • Your land title deed
  • Recent months’ recent bank statements
  • Valid national ID
  • Mobile money statements
  • A recent payslip

iBiz Business loans:

  • The land title deed
  • Business registration (if registered)
  • Recent Bank statements
  • Valid National ID

Existing owned vehicles

Personal loans:

  • vehicle ownership documentation
  • comprehensive insurance cover
  • A valid driver’s license
  • Recent months’ bank statements
  • Mobile money statements
  • A recent payslip

iBiz Business loans:

  • vehicle ownership documentation
  • comprehensive insurance cover
  • A valid driver’s license
  • Recent Bank statements

Offer only valid for cars less than 15 years old.

Cash/iVest/Treasury bills/Bonds

Personal loans:

  • Investment certificate or evidence of cash placement certificate

iBiz Business loans:

  • Investment certificate or evidence of cash placement certificate.

Invoice discounting

For iBiz business loans

  • Proof of signed client order or purchase order.
What SME business loan amounts and terms can I get from this loan?

With Izwe secured personal loans and business loans, you can access up to GHS1,000,000 (depending on the value of your assets) with repayment terms of up to 48 months.

How much can I qualify for?

That depends. When calculating your SME loan amount, we consider:

  • Your financial situation.
  • The value of your assets, and

Depending on the assessment outcomes, you could qualify for a loan of up to 70% of your asset value.

Who pays for the valuation of my assets?

You are responsible for the valuation cost, which will not be more than GHS100.

What is the interest rate?

That also depends on a number of factors. Since we calculate a personalised rate, your sales consultant will share your rate in the pre-agreement.

How often am I required to repay my iBiz business loans?

You will need to pay a fixed amount, every month, before an agreed date.

What happens if my repayment cheque bounces?

It’s up to you to ensure your cheques clear. You are also liable for any bounce fees.

Should you not catch up your arrears, Izwe will follow debt collection procedures.

Are there penalties for going into arrears?

Yes. Penalty fees apply to unpaid and overdue accounts. Please read the terms in your pre-agreement for more information.

Can I make an early payment on my personal loan?

You can pay off your loan as fast as you want.

Please see the terms and conditions in your Secured Loan Agreement.

What happens to my assets if I can’t pay my personal or iBiz business loans?

As a last resort – and after all other debt collection procedures have been followed – Izwe has the right to repossess your assets. Cars and landed property may then be auctioned to recover the loan.

How do I open an iSave Account?

It’s easy to open a high-interest savings account with Izwe.

Complete the application form at one of our branches, or speak to one of our trusted and approved agents.

Please have the following documents and information ready:

  • A valid national identification document 
  • A recent and original passport photo of yourself
  • A sketch of your local residence, area map or valid proof of residence document
What are the charges on the iSave account?

Nothing. We don’t even charge you to withdraw money from your savings account.

How much interest will I earn?

Our goal is to offer the best interest on your savings.

Interest rates change in line with government announcements. We publish our rates every month – and they’re always market competitive.

How do I deposit money into my iSave account?

You can deposit money into your savings account from your workplace (we will come to you), electronically, or at any one of our branches.

Can I get a cheque book with my iSave account?

The iSave account does not make provision for a cheque book. However the Izwe iFlex Account, which is a transactional account has the benefit of a cheque book.

What is an iVest account?

iVEST is a fixed-term investment account that offers competitive returns on money that you invest for up to 12 months.

How much do I need to invest?

The minimum investment amount is GHS 10,000

What interest rates can I get on an iVEST Account?

Interest rates change in line with government announcements. We publish our rates every month – and they’re always market competitive.

How do I open an iVest account?

Complete the application form at one of our branches, or speak to one of our trusted and approved agents.

Take the following documents and information to your nearest Izwe branch to open an account immediately:

  • Completed application form
  • A valid national identification document
  • A recent and original passport photo of yourself
  • A minimum deposit of GHS 10,000
  • A sketch of your local residence, area map or a valid proof of residence document
Are there any charges on my investment?

Only if you withdraw your money before the investment term is up. Early withdrawal fees apply.

Is my investment secure?

Yes. Izwe’s financial services are regulated and licensed by the Bank of Ghana and is proudly associated with the Ghana Deposit Protection Scheme. 

We also regularly publish our financial results for complete transparency.

How long does it take to get my pay-out when my investment matures?

Funds are paid out within 7 working days of maturity date.

Can I withdraw my investment early?

Yes, but early withdrawal charges may apply.

Can I withdraw part of my investment?

Yes, you can restructure your investment. Please visit your closest branch or contact our call centre on 0302 208 222 for assistance.

How long does it take to get an investment certificate?

Certificates are issued within 3 working days.

How is Izwe involved?

Izwe is contracted as an intermediary by Serene to sell vehicle insurance.

How do you calculate my premium?

Your premium is calculated by a regulated tariff provided by the National Insurance Commission.

What does my premium cover?

The table below shows the available cover you’ll enjoy, depending on the policy you take out.

Policy Type

Available Cover


Accidental Damage to your vehicle; (collision/overturning or collision/ overturning due to mechanical breakdown)

Earthquake or other Convulsion of Nature, Strike, Riot, or Civil Commotion

Fire, External explosion, Self-ignition or Lightning

Theft, Burglary, Housebreaking

Third-Party Legal Liability


Third-Party Fire and Theft


Third-Party Only


What documentation do I need to apply?

You’ll need to provide the following documents:

  • Completed proposal form.
  • Four (4) sided picture evidence of your vehicle to insure.
  • Adequate KYC (such as national ID for individual policies or Certificate of Incorporation to commence business).
Who do I contact if I want to claim?

Please contact Izwe on 0302 208 222 or Serene on 0302 917 444/6.

What does replacement cost mean?

This means the cost to replace your vehicle. However, we have the option to repair, reinstate or pay for damages to your vehicle subject to indemnity only. The maximum amount payable by us will be the market value at the time of the loss or damage, or the sum insured you have provided, whichever is less.

What is the minimum limit for Third-party Insurance?

The minimum limit for Third-Party Property Damage (TPPD) is GHS 5,000. However, you may choose to increase your limit at an additional premium.

How do I change the details of my policy, like my address?

To change your details, please send a formal communication to Izwe ( or Serene ( Please include your policy number in the subject of your email.

What happens if I sell my car?

The insurance policy and the certificate are not transferable, so you are required to inform us formally to cancel your policy and submit all your insurance documents to us to get a pro-rata return on your premium, if you are owed any.

Do I need to take my car for inspection?

We prefer that you do that, if possible.

Do I need to have a valid driver’s license?

Yes. You can’t take out liability insurance on your car otherwise.

What happens if I want to cancel my policy?

You can simply inform us in writing, with your reason for cancelling your policy.

What happens if I don’t pay my premium?

Under our “No Premium, No Cover” condition your vehicle will not have insurance cover if you haven’t paid your premium.

Does my premium decrease if the value of my car decreases?

Yes, your premium decreases according to value of your car.

Do I need to install or have specific security to insure my vehicle?

No, this isn’t necessary, but extra security is always preferred.

If my car is written off, can I buy it back and have it repaired?

Yes, you can buy the salvaged car, but unfortunately we are not able to then insure a written-off vehicle.

Can I use my own panel beater/repairer to fix my car?

Yes, you can. You’ll just need to inform us and get approval.

If I am transporting goods, will these be covered?

No, your premium doesn’t cover goods you are transporting.

Will my premium increase if I claim?

Unfortunately you will lose your “No Claim Discount”, so your premium will increase.

How do I get a copy of my policy documents?

Once you are signed on to your policy, IZWE will deliver your insurance documents to you.